Flora skirt no.4 and a night out for my kidneys…

I love this pattern. Big time. And given that I’ve made this pattern three times before I feel quite confident with it. It’s a quick make usually but this time around I wanted to really take my time to try and get a perfect, neat finish. This was my first successful attempt at adding a lining to a skirt (my last flora was underlined but this one has a loose hanging lining) and also my first attempt at attaching a lining to an invisible zip by machine. I so glad that my buddy Louise educated me about how awesome Craftsy is because I learned how to attach the lining to the zip by enrolling on their class ‘Mastering Zipper Techniques’ which is not only really informative but it’s free! I’m just about to get started with an embroidery class that I purchased about a week ago but I’m just waiting for some materials that I need for the class to be delivered. I’ve already started getting some ideas together, thank you Pinterest! I particularly like this one and probably need to take note of this advice!

IMG_2123.PNG

But back to Flora no.4… This time I went for the straight hem variation as I wanted a skirt that I can wear to work/everyday. Although the dipped hem variation is my favourite of the two options I think it would be really quite dressy in this type of fabric – cotton sateen.

The construction was straight-forward mostly. I cut the back piece on the fold (after cutting off the seam allowance from the pattern) and added a left side zip instead of one at the centre back. I French seamed the right seams on the lining and shell fabric and added a waistband as per the BHL online instructions. As adding a lining and attaching it to the zip were new to me these were the bits that I found most challenging. I really took my time over this but when it came to hemming the lining I realised that I had sewed the lining in the wrong way around so it’s a bit weird, but luckily all hidden on the inside of the skirt. Next time I’ll attach the lining to the skirt with wrong sides together and turn the hem up to the wrong side of the lining. I’ve still not yet mastered the art of attaching an invisible zip but i’m getting there.

All in all I am happy with my new skirt although it’s not the 100% perfect garment that I had planned. It’s been a learning experience though and I’m glad that I learned about adding a lining, attaching it to the zip and also had another go at adding an invisible zip.

In the spirit of taking my time over this skirt I bound the inside of the waistband to hide the rough edges – I had some matching navy binding but that was a bit boring so I went for this contrasting red instead, I think this is one of my favourite bits 😃

IMG_2132.JPG

Although intended as a work or casual skirt I wore this out to a charity event on Saturday night. ‘An Evening with CKD‘ is a great charity that has been set up to raise awareness of chronic kidney disease in the afro-Caribbean community. Not only was the event really entertaining with the live singers and comedians, it was also really informative about CKD. I learned a lot, in particular that the prevalence of CKD in people from black and minority ethnic communities is much higher than in the white population. It’s not clear why that is but the main take home message was to get your kidneys checked! – which can be done by having a simple blood test and keeping an eye on your blood pressure (high BP can be an indicator of poor kidney status). I’m going to see my GP anyway this week so I’m definitely going to ask about getting the test done. Congratulations to Amma Rose on producing such a brilliant event!!!

IMG_3325.JPG

And here I am in the finished article…

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

And just because here’s one of me and my hubby ❤️

IMG_3943.JPG

Cx