Flora goes to the wedding!

I really do enjoy a good wedding (dont we all!) and i’ve been looking forward to this wedding reception since the invite dropped through the letter box. My old friend Nicky is marrying his lovely fiancee Sonya and i’m so happy for them ♥ And of course so happy that I get to make something special for the occasion! I ordered the BHL Flora dress pattern as a present to myself for my birthday and was quite looking forward to getting started on this lur-vely pattern.


Unfortunately I failed before even getting the pattern out of the beautiful envelope! For this pattern you need 60″ wide fabric and mine was a mere 44″. Sad times. However, that meant I had to go on an essential shopping trip to ‘the man outside Sainsbury’s’ who NEVER fails to please. I came away with some lovely green, duchess-satin-like-with-a-little-bit-of-stretch-to-it fabric at a bargain £3 per metre. Yes please, i’ll have 3 metres thank you very much!


I really ummed-and-arred for a while over this outfit because I had a specific idea in mind for the dress which never worked out. The plan was to make the flora dress with a navy bodice and African wax print skirt but since that didnt work out I was a bit ‘whatever’ about making something else. I finally decided on making the Flora skirt (pattern hack on the BHL website) and I was so pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. As soon as those pleats were assembled I know I had done the right thing. The fabric really is lovely and the silkyness of it just feels so nice, it’s perfect for a wedding, and I think it’s much better than my original idea. And of course with it being a circle skirt its fab to twirl in!image

I really wanted to create a neat finish on the inside of the garmant because (a) a little bit of the inside is visible due to the dipped hem and (b) it’s just nicer when a garment looks all lovely and neat on the inside.


For that reason I french seamed the side seams and turned under the back seams where the zip was inserted. This was my first time using an invisible zip and after having to unpick it twice I finally got it in and looking neat. I can’t believe that I’ve waited so long to work with an invisible zip, i’m officially converted now, they’re so easy to insert!


Luckily I didn’t have to work too hard to find a top to match. I met up with a few sewing gals for a fabric shopping trip to Berwick Street and Liberty on Saturday and found this gem in a vintage shop on Berwick street. I love it. The best thing is that it looks lovely worn the right way round as well as back to front. Thanks to Lyndsey for the advice!


So here’s the finished article and a few pics of me having a twirl…